An International Food Festival was held here at the Oceanside Adventist Church and School on January 26, 2019. The countries and regions that were represented were the Philippines, Brazil, the Middle East, Scandinavia, Japan, the Southern U.S., Italy and Jamaica. We are pleased to share the recipes from Crystal Robinson and her family -- a vegetarian twist on Southern Soul Food.
- 3 lbs Collard Greens
- 1 medium white onion
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3-5 strips of Veggie Bacon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Red pepper flakes
- Heat Veggie Bacon in the one on Broil until nice and crisp.
- In a large deep skillet or pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Saute the onions, garlic and collard greens until tender.
- Add vegetable broth, vinegar, red pepper flakes and veggie bacon crumbled and cook for 45 minutes or more if you want the very tender.
- 1 cup Quick Grits
- ½ cup sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- Bring water to a boil with salt added. Stir in 1 cup grits and reduce heat to low and constantly stir for 10 minutes. Once done, turn off heat and add cheese to grits, mixing until smooth.
- You can cook with milk instead of water if you want a very creamy grits.
- ½ cup of frozen butter
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Grate frozen butter using grater and toss with the flour.
- Add Buttermilk and mix well. The dough will be very sticky.
- Roll out dough on floured surface, fold over and roll out again, about 4 times, sprinkling with flour.
- Roll to about ½ inch thick for final roll out. Cut using floured round cutter.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven until lightly brown.
Vegetarian Sausage Gravy
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 12 Veggie Morning Star Sausage
- ½ cup flour
- Olive oil
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grate or chop sausage into small pieces
- In a large deep skillet heat olive oil on medium heat and add chopped sausage, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and saute until done.
- Add flour and a little more olive oil and stir until mixed well.
- Pout in milk and water into the sausage and flour mixture slowly until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Southern Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cut sweet potatoes into small 1 inch cubes
- Put all ingredients into large pot and start cooking on medium heat until potatoes are tender. About 30 minutes.